Nagorno-Karabakh War News
Armenia`s prime minister said on Wednesday he saw no possibility of a diplomatic solution at this stage in the conflict with Azerbaijan over Nagorno-Karabakh. His comments, after Azerbaijan`s president said he believed the conflict could be solved militarily, increased doubts over a diplomatic initiative by major powers. In the latest flare-up of the decades-old conflict, hundreds of people have been killed since September 27 in clashes in and around Nagorno-Karabakh.
The Government of Turkey is now working to expedite establishing a military base in Azerbaijan. Analysts believe that the Azeri government has even begun to work towards this. The defense agreement between both the countries provides basis for this, which includes provisions on establishing military bases in each other's countries.
Russia made a new appeal to Armenia and Azerbaijan to stop fighting in and around the mountain enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh after the warring sides accused each other of fresh ceasefire violations. Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu made the appeal by telephone to the Azeri and Armenian defence ministers, urging the countries to "fully meet the commitments" made under the fraying humanitarian ceasefire. Each side denied violating the ceasefire over Nagorno-Karabakh, which is internationally recognised as part of Azerbaijan but is governed and populated by ethnic Armenians.
Several residents of Nagorno-Karabakh were forced into shelters by shelling but they were unwilling to give up their homes amid talks that Armenia and Azarbaijan have reached a ceasefire agreement. Earlier on Saturday, it was reported by Sputnik that two explosions were heard in the center of Stepanakert, the capital of the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. The authorities in Nagorno-Karabakh said that two missiles hit the city.